Friday 1 July 2011

Book Beginnings on Friday

Wow, is it Friday already? Where has this week gone?! What with an assignment due in, several nice outings and a birthday, it's been a pretty busy week and I've hardly had any time to read at all. :( I haven't even finished last week's Patricia Cornwell book, but I have managed to start a new e-book, 'The Undertaker', by William F. Brown (review to come).

This Book Beginnings on Friday meme is hosted by A Few More Pages. The idea is that you give the first line of the book you're reading, and your opinion based on just that opening.

So, 'The Undertaker' has a prologue, and I'll give you the first line from that:

"We decided to put it all down on paper in case they came after us again"

Now I love this opening, as it immediately caught my attention. This line is on a page of its own, before the rest of the prologue, so it makes a real statement and it isn't the kind of thing that you can miss or gloss over. At this stage, we don't know who the 'We' or the 'they' are yet, but to know that someone is in danger right from the start I find really exciting. I'm already scared of whoever 'they' are!

I'm looking forward to ploughing into the rest of this book during the week ahead, so look out for the review coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. That is a really powerful first line and that's pretty much all I can say. Now I feel compelled to read the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!