Friday 16 September 2011

Book Beginnings On Friday

Book Beginnings On Friday is a weekly meme hosted at A Few More Pages. To participate, all you have to do is share the opening of whatever you've been reading and your opinion of said beginning. Then just link it back and take a look at what everyone else is reading!

Recently my mum and I went on a bit of a book buying spree, and one of the titles we bought was 'Afterwards' by Rosamund Lupton, which I opened up and started reading last night. Here's the opening, which I have taken from the prologue:

"I couldn't move, not even a little finger or a flicker of an eye. I couldn't open my mouth to scream."

Wow. This grabbed my attention straight away! Why can't this person move anything? They can't be tied up or trapped because surely they would still be able to move their eye... And what is happening to them that's so scary they want to scream? Frightening stuff! I'm immediately keen to find out what has happened to this person and why... I have read on a bit further into the book but I don't want to give anything away!

I'm not exactly sure of the genre of this book - I think it's sort of like a mystery, but a very emotional one. Lupton has also written another book called 'Sister' prior to this, which I believe is a mystery although I haven't read it, so I assume that this is along the same sort of lines. Please do correct me if you've read 'Sister' and I've missed the mark completely. 'Afterwards' is written in an unusual style but you'll either have to wait for my review on it or read it yourself to see what I mean! All in all so far it looks like a good'un.

Have a good weekend folks x

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the way these opening lines create enough suspense to make the reader keep flipping those pages. The key to a great beginning!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it is powerful, I am not sure whether I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a gripping beginning! I want to learn more about this book, so thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great beginning, really makes me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A definite read-on for me.

    Have to admit that I took a peek at the full synopsis and that is now a double definite read-on.

    I do think that there will probably be a bit more to this story than meets the eye and it is probably going to be quite difficult and emotional in places, sounds like a great mix to me!!

    Try to relax a little this weekend and hope that the exam goes well.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!